Wednesday, November 4, 2015

You. Nature. Discuss. Activity

Today was unseasonably warm. Wearing shorts in November is not a very common occurrence. In fact, this happens so rarely that our teacher let us have some extra fun in class today. We were assigned a prompt titled, “You. Nature. Discuss.” We were then instructed to venture off into the woods within the campus and sit alone for ten minutes. After the observation period, we were to write whatever came into our minds down in our journals. So, without further ado, here are my thoughts:

I chose to sit on a log right alongside the Horseshoe Trail. The log was a moderately sized tree that had recently fallen over. Around me were several thorn bushes along with some moderately sized trees. I sat there and observed my surroundings. The first thing I noticed were the amount of leaves falling from the trees. Most of the leaves still hanging on the the trees were a bright yellow, while the ones laying on the ground were a autumny mix of yellows, oranges, reds, and browns. My mind soon wandered to all the noises. At first, I heard several birds chirping. The sounds of dump trucks from the quarry along with airplanes flying overhead also caught my attention. There were lots of bug sounds too. Of course, the most identifiable sound was of Afrah laughing. I looked to my feet and noticed some green moss growing on the ground. I also noticed some deer running through the forest. Despite all the things happening in the woods, I observed this overall feeling of peacefulness and serenity. It was quite an uplifting experience and I hope we start doing this activity more often as a class.

No comments:

Post a Comment