Sunday, January 17, 2016

A Look Back

Looking back on the Winter Trimester thus far, we have covered a lot of material in Honors Environmental Science. With almost every topic we cover, a blog post is soon to follow. This blog represents my progress in the class; it is a way to track just how much I have learned and how well I understand the material covered. After all, the best way to know if you understand something is to teach it to others.

Without a doubt, the blog post I deem to be my best is my “r Selection, K Selection, and Survivorship Curves” post. In this post, I felt I did an excellent job describing the in-class activity and what it meant to me. Not only was I able to describe what we did in class, but why it mattered as well. I believe I did this well in my other posts too, but I feel as if I mastered it in this one. I was clear and concise, yet I did not leave out any important information or explanations. In addition, I added several meaningful and effective visual aids to break away from one giant wall of text. The pictures I chose serve as a supplement to the material I discussed in the post. Together, my concise yet effective wording combined with my meaningful choice of pictures made this blog post one of my best works thus far.

The one blog post that needs improvement is my “Human Survivorship Changes” lab. I do not believe it is the content that needs improving here - I think I was able to capture the importance of the lab in my analysis. Instead, it’s the visual aids I used as supplements. I didn’t quite realize what I did until meeting with my teacher in the following class. He explained how my post was good by all means, but that it could be better. He pointed out the screenshots of the data and graphs I made and went on to explain how they were good, but could be even more meaningful. I could enlarge the images, make comparison graphs of the data, and a few other tweaks to make the post its absolute best. I completely agree with him; the data is there, it can just be presented in a more effective, more meaningful way. I will most certainly be making adjustments to that post in the near future.

Overall, this class has been super great. I look forward to see what comes out of the remainder of the year. If it's anything like the first half, I know it'll be equally as amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment