Thursday, May 12, 2016

Final Reflection

I honestly do not know where to start. This year has been incredible. Although we jumped around quite a few times, it all always worked out in the end and I’m able to say I’m leaving the class with a solid grasp on Environmental Science. I love how the class ties into current events such as agriculture along with pesticide usage, extreme weather, etc. For the future, I would perhaps break up each trimester into three or four sections where the class focuses on a current event / issue facing the world today such as a decline in bee population or how extreme weather / rising ocean temperatures will affect coastal cities such as New York and Miami. I also think the class should take more field trips and outdoor walks. Documentaries like Gasland are both entertaining and very informative, incorporating films such as those would be highly beneficial.

As for the video we started watching, it is very, very different, but in a good way. It’s certainly not what I expected from a documentary, but I feel as if the narrator does an excellent job getting his point across to the viewer. He notes the importance of the Earth and its resources without being overly cynical about it. He gets the point about how if we want to survive as a species, we better change our actions in a way that is not overly depressing but still equally pressing. The narrator is a fellow optimist like myself - I like that about him too. There is a lot of work that needs to get done, but we can do it if we all work together. The ned doesn’t need to be in sight. Hopefully the remainder of humanity shares my drive and enthusiasm to make real change.

Thanks for two incredible years, Jon. I’ve loved both Honors Biology and Honors Environmental Science. They were honestly two of my favorite classes ever and I looked forward to them each and every day. Sometimes, I think you second guess your decisions, and while the path the class has taken has been a little choppy at times, I still loved every second of it and I always walked away with a better understanding of the natural world around me. You’re an amazing teacher, Jon - don’t ever forget it (even when you steal all my friends from my free period by creating a new elective with Scott ;) ). You’ve inspired me to pursue the sciences in college, and I owe it all to you and your teaching. The plan is to become a doctor - we’ll see how it goes. I’ll be sure to keep you posted. And if you’re ever headed to the Galapagos again and looking for a travel buddy - I’d be happy to join you. :) Until we meet again…

All the best,

J.R.

P.S. I’ll be working at the Day Camp again this summer, so I’m sure I’ll see you around. I’d also be more than happy to take Happy on a walk every now and then on my breaks from caring for nine-year-olds - just let me know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment